COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - It appears a Columbus shooting was accidental, sending a young man to the hospital.
Columbus Police Chief Fred Shelton says officers were dispatched at 1:15 p.m. to a trailer park in the 100 block of Lincoln Road.
He says officers found an 18-year-old man inside the home with a gunshot wound to the head.
The young man told police a gun fell off a counter and accidentally discharged. Shelton later confirmed the gun appears to be a small-caliber.
Shelton says the bullet grazed the man's head and the injury does not appear to be life-threatening.
The man was taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle for treatment.
The shooting is under investigation.
- UPDATE: Columbus shooting appears to be accidental
- UPDATE: Columbus toddler's death ruled accidental
- Columbus police called to investigate accidental shooting
- UPDATE: Columbus murder suspects appear before judge
- UPDATE: Columbus police investigate shooting
- UPDATE: Noxubee shooting suspect appears before judge
- UPDATE: Macon shooting suspect appears before judge
- UPDATE: Victim identified in fatal Columbus shooting
- UPDATE: Man arrested, charged following Columbus shooting
- UPDATE: Victim identified in Columbus fatal shooting