COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - Three Columbus police officers and firefighters responded a call of a distraught person attempting to jump off the bridge into the Luxapallila Creek.
It happened around 6 p.m. Tuesday on the northside of the bridge near Highway 182 and Propst Park.
Witnesses saw the individual on the top rail of the bridge.
Once responders arrived, officers closed the bridge.
Officers approached the individual and talked. The officers were able to remove the individual.
The police department is helping the individual get the proper treatment.
Columbus Police Chief Fred Shelton said no charges will be filed.
Shelton thanked the public for letting the police know what happened.
- Columbus police officers save life during suicide attempt
- Death of Columbus man ruled a suicide
- REPORT: Columbus police officer fired, other suspended
- Man arrested for biting Columbus police officer
- City takes action against Columbus police officers
- Columbus police officer injured in wreck
- Columbus Police: Sharp-eyed officer makes arrest
- Officers respond to Columbus wreck
- Columbus chief financial officer resigns
- Columbus police chief to retire