COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) – Columbus police are seeking the person or persons believed to be involved in a Thursday shooting outside Leigh Mall.
Sometime near 3:50 p.m., Columbus police responded to a call of shots fired in the rear parking lot of the mall.
When officers arrived, the two parties had already left the scene.
Witnesses described the two parties’ vehicles as a tan-colored Honda Accord and a white mid-sized vehicle, possibly a Dodge Charger of Nissan Maxima.
Police say it appears the two parties were shooting at each other, but the motive is still being investigated.
The Honda Accord occupants drove to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle where a 28-year-old man was being treated for a gunshot wound. He was later taken to a Jackson hospital, and at last check, that person was in stable condition.
Columbus police interviewed the victim but he was described as being uncooperative. Investigators do not believe this was a random act of violence.
Police believe those involved knew each other and had an altercation which led to the shots being fired.
Columbus police are asking for the public’s help to identify the second party involved. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-530-7151 or the Columbus Police Department.
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Columbus shooting outside mall
- UPDATE: Columbus police investigate shooting
- Columbus police investigate shooting report
- Columbus police investigates overnight shooting
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Corinth shootings
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Itawamba County shooting
- Investigation continues into Lowndes shooting
- UPDATE: Victim identified in fatal Columbus shooting
- UPDATE: Man arrested, charged following Columbus shooting
- UPDATE: Columbus shooting appears to be accidental