Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant identified the man as Markus Maurice Pate, 34.
Merchant says the body will be sent to Pearl for an autopsy.
See the original post below.
COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - Police in Columbus are trying to figure out who killed someone after a body was found Saturday morning.
Officers discovered the body in an apartment in the 300 block of 11th Street South after being called around 8 a.m.
Chief Fred Shelton says the male victim had been shot but Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant will have to determine the cause of death.
"There is no sign of forceful entry into the apartment, which leads us to believe the suspect was invited in by someone in the apartment," said Shelton in a news release. "This is not random in any way."
The chief added that detectives are already developing strong leads in the case.
- Columbus police investigate homicide after body discovered
- Columbus police arrest suspect in homicide investigation
- Grenada police investigate homicide
- UPDATE: Columbus police investigate shooting
- Columbus police investigates overnight shooting
- Columbus police investigate shooting report
- Columbus police investigate stabbing incident
- Body found at Columbus motel
- Body found at Columbus car wash, investigation underway
- Homicide rate drops in Columbus in 2017