COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - Columbus police arrested a man after he jumped the counter at a Taco Bell Sunday afternoon.
The incident happened at the location on Highway 45 North sometime near 2:10 p.m.
Brian Gartman | Photo: Columbus Police Department
Witnesses said Brian Key Gartman, 32, of Columbus, tried to get into the restaurant’s cash registers after he jumped the counter.
“There was a customer in there that was acting strange and putting the employees at unease," said Police Chief Fred Shelton. "When we arrived we found him trying to get in the vehicle of another customer that was in the drive-thru.”
Witnesses said he then followed some employees to a back-office area, which was locked.
Police say a customer in the restaurant retrieved a weapon from a vehicle in an attempt to help the employees. Officers say the customer had some interaction with Gartman inside the restaurant.
That's a move Columbus Police warn against.
“That’s something that I’m not going to encourage," said Shelton. "When there’s a weapon involved, that puts our officers at risk. That person is not trained as we are.”
Police say when Gartman went outside, attempting to enter a car, he was confronted by responding police officers.
Following his arrest, Gartman is accused of attempting to kick out the rear window of a police car.
“For people to go act that way at a restaurant there’s really no call for it," said resident Edward Moore. "People just want to go home, get their food they’ve had a long day at work. They don’t need all the drama.”
Police believe he was under-the-influence of illegal drugs.
He is charged with the following:
- Disorderly conduct of a business
- Resisting arrest
- Possession of methamphetamine
- Columbus police arrest man after Taco Bell incident
- Columbus police investigate stabbing incident
- Columbus police investigating Thursday night incident
- Columbus police make arrest in April shooting incident
- Man arrested for biting Columbus police officer
- Columbus police arrest man for sexual battery
- Columbus police arrest accused arsonist
- More charges possible after Columbus shooting incident
- Columbus man faces federal charge in 2016 shooting incident
- Columbus police make arrest in weekend shooting