COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - A new member has been added to the Columbus Police Department.
Black, 5, is a full-blooded German Shepherd, and he will be utilized for missions involving explosive detection.
"I'm excited we have an addition to the department," said Columbus Police Chief Fred Shelton. "It will help us provide better service to the community. If we had a bomb threat or something of that nature, we would be able to have immediate access with a dog being able to come and check the scene."
Police dogs have been used by the Columbus Police Department for years, according to Shelton.
- Columbus police add new K9 to its force
- Columbus Air Force Base hosts air show
- Fulton police seeking funds for K9
- Columbus police chief to retire
- UPDATE: Columbus police investigate shooting
- Columbus police searching for robber
- Columbus police investigate stabbing incident
- Columbus police investigates overnight shooting
- Columbus police welcome new applicants
- Columbus police investigate shooting report