COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - Columbus Mayor Robert Smith released a statement on social media in response to the fatal shooting of a teenager.
Arykah White, 16, was shot and killed Saturday night while attending a birthday party at the City of Columbus Community Activity Center in Propst Park, Mayor Smith said.
The mayor said police have leads in the investigation and have identified persons of interest.
According to Smith, he also mandated the police department to increase patrols in the surrounding areas.
"Immediate procedures for using the City facilities will be revised and upgraded to include- security cameras surrounding the exterior and interior of the premises, active police presence and patrolling, the enforcement of proper operations of hours, and appropriate activities."
Anyone with information on the shooting can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-530-7151.
- Columbus mayor releases statement on fatal shooting of teen
- UPDATE:Columbus police release new details in fatal apartment shooting
- UPDATE: Victim identified in fatal Columbus shooting
- UPDATE: Victim identified in Columbus fatal shooting
- City officials in Columbus discuss change after fatal downtown shooting
- Columbus mayor hosts 12th annual Thanksgiving lunch
- UPDATE: 18-year-old charged with shooting teen in Columbus
- Single-vehicle crash turns fatal in Columbus
- UPDATE: Columbus police investigate shooting
- Arrest made for Columbus shooting