COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - A Columbus man, who police said died after being shot during an altercation early Sunday morning, has been identified.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant said the victim is 21-year-old Adarious O'Neal. Merchant tells WTVA the victim was brought to Baptist Memorial by a private car, and that he was pronounced dead a short time later.
Police say the incident took place at The Reserve Apartments on 31st Avenue around 2 a.m.
Before that incident, police confirm that two other altercations took place, including one at a Walmart.
The victim and the shooter knew each other, according to Police Chief Fred Shelton. Shelton also says a second person was injured, who is being treated at Baptist Hospital.
The chief also told WTVA that incident involved a woman who knew one of the victims and lived at the apartments.
Authorities say that person was shot and is still in the hospital.
"This is still early in our investigation, but as of now we know there was some type of argument or altercation in the parking lot," said Shelton. "The victim did not live here."
Chief Shelton said information on a suspect is being developed at this time.
An autopsy will be done early this week, according to the coroner.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-530-7151.
This is still an ongoing investigation.
- UPDATE:Columbus police release new details in fatal apartment shooting
- UPDATE: Columbus police investigate shooting
- UPDATE: Victim identified in fatal Columbus shooting
- UPDATE: Victim identified in Columbus fatal shooting
- Columbus mayor releases statement on fatal shooting of teen
- Columbus police investigates overnight shooting
- Columbus police investigate shooting report
- Columbus police identify shooting suspect
- UPDATE: Man arrested, charged following Columbus shooting
- UPDATE: Columbus shooting appears to be accidental