COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - Two people could be close to becoming Columbus' assistant police chief and leader of the Criminal Investigation Division.
The city confirmed that two people were approved to be hired if they passed a medical, background and drug screening - one person for the assistant chief position and the other for the CID position.
However, the city says it's not releasing the two individuals' names since they are only applicants at this time and not employees.
The assistant chief position has been open for some time after Fred Shelton was promoted to police chief.
- Columbus police close to hiring assistant chief, CID leader
- Columbus looking for new assistant police chief
- Columbus close to hiring new school superintendent
- Bruce hires new police chief
- Columbus police chief to retire
- Shelton named new Columbus police chief
- Columbus chief financial officer resigns
- Columbus community leaders host benefit concert
- Columbus police chief thanks city, fellow officers in retirement letter
- Fred Shelton sworn in as Columbus chief of police