COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - Columbus city councilman Fred Jackson has resigned effective immediately.
Columbus Mayor Robert Smith made the announcement Wednesday morning at City Hall.
Columbus Mayor Robert Smith announced the resignation of Ward 4 Councilman Fred Jackson.
Jackson served Ward 4. He wants to spend more time with his family, the mayor said.
The mayor will call a special meeting on Monday, July 8 at 9 a.m. for city council members to accept the vacant seat and order a special election to fill the seat.
- Columbus city councilman resigns
- Columbus city councilman Gene Taylor dies
- Beard becomes new Columbus councilman
- Former Tupelo city councilman dies
- Columbus chief financial officer resigns
- Columbus holding special election to fill vacant councilman position
- REPORT: Grenada councilman indicted
- Executive director resigning from Columbus Arts Council
- Daleville City Councilman Marvin Wise arrested in sex case
- Columbus man charged with threatening city official