COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - Columbus police have charged a 27-year-old man with the murder of a man on Wednesday.
Charged with murder is Aaron Mitchell, 27, of Columbus.
Police Chief Fred Shelton said Mitchell was arguing with Marty Moore, 28, when the encounter turned violent early Wednesday in the 2200 block of 9th Avenue South.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant identified Moore as the deceased individual.
Witnesses on the scene told WTVA they heard at least 10 gunshots.
Police said they recovered a weapon.
"The victim and the suspect knew one another,” Shelton said. “This was not random. The victim and the suspect were involved in an argument that escalated into violence quickly.”
- Arrest made in Columbus homicide
- Arrest made for Columbus shooting
- Arrest made in Oxford homicide
- Columbus police arrest suspect in homicide investigation
- Arrest made for Columbus counterfeit check
- Arrests made in separate Columbus burglary cases
- Homicide rate drops in Columbus in 2017
- Columbus police investigate homicide after body discovered
- Suspect linked to two separate crimes in Columbus, arrest made
- Columbus police arrest accused arsonist