WASHINGTON, DC (WTVA) - A Columbus nursing home appeared on a previously unreleased list of facilities flagged by federal regulators as having a "persistent record of poor care."
Aurora Health and Rehabilition, located in East Columbus, is on the list of lowest rated facilities in a new report by the Center For Medicare and Medicaid Services, which was published Monday by U.S. Senators Bob Casey and Pat Toomey, both of Pennsylvania.
The list covers nursing homes enrolled in an expanded oversight program and hundreds marked as candidates for the program based on their performance in inspections.
The Columbus facility is listed as a possible "special focus facility" candidate due to its record of poor care.
According to medicare.gov, a 2018 health inspection summary of the facility showed an unresponsive paitent wasn't given cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in a timely manner among other issues. The person died.
The report said the facility has since gone through in-house training.
While the names of "special focus facility" program participants are public, the names of candidate facilities, including five of the six from Mississippi, typically are not.
According to the report, Aurora Health and Rehabiliation is listed as a candidate for the oversight program, but only one "special focus facility" is chosen in Mississippi.
If selected, Aurora Health and Rehabilitation will be given a set time for improvement, or it loses its Medicare and Medicaid funding.
Vanguard Healthcare Services, based in Brentwood, Tennessee, owns Aurora Health and Rehabilitation in Columbus.
Company officials told The Clarion Ledger in Jackson, "We have a history of participating and working closely with all monitoring entities and will continue to do so."
- Government flags Columbus nursing home over poor care
- No injuries at Columbus nursing home fire
- Former nursing home care worker sentenced in theft case
- Columbus home catches fire
- A nursing home patient 'rotted to death' under nurses' care, Ohio attorney general says
- Man charged with burglarizing home of nursing home patient
- Columbus missing man returns home unharmed
- Columbus man arrested for home burglary
- Animals seized from poor scene in Okolona
- Man charged with assault in shooting outside nursing home