COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) -- The Columbus City Council held a special meeting Tuesday morning to address issues involving the police department.
City Attorney Jeff Turnage says the council voted 5-to-0 to suspend an officer for 28 days for conduct unbecoming of an officer.
However, Turnage says the council voted 5-to-0 against suspending another police officer for alleged misconduct because it did not exist.
Names of the officers were not released.
Turnage says the suspension of the first police officer is effective immediately.
- City takes action against Columbus police officers
- Columbus residents take action with their tornado-damaged homes
- Columbus police chief thanks city, fellow officers in retirement letter
- Columbus city councilman resigns
- REPORT: Columbus police officer fired, other suspended
- Man arrested for biting Columbus police officer
- Columbus police officer injured in wreck
- Columbus Police: Sharp-eyed officer makes arrest
- Officers respond to Columbus wreck
- Columbus chief financial officer resigns