COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - A 3-year-old boy is being called a “miracle of recovery” after he was found lifeless in a pool in Columbus.
According to Columbus city spokesman Joe Dillon, the child accidentally fell into a swimming pool shortly before noon on Saturday.
The accident happened on Springdale Drive.
While transporting the child to the hospital, firefighters continued treating the child and performed CPR.
On Monday, the child’s mother, Jacinta Jones, said her son is now breathing, eating and talking on his own.
“It’s a miracle,” she said. “He is still in intensive care, but we hope to move him to a room later today.”
She said doctors are treating him for a possible infection he may have received from the water.
Columbus Fire Chief Martin Andrews praised his firefighters for their quick response.
“These firefighters made many split-second life-saving decisions, and I am proud of them," he said. "They are the best of the best. They took immediate action to save a life.”
The child's mother thanked the first responders and hospital staff for their help.
The child remains at the University Medical Center in Jackson.
- Child's recovery hailed as miracle after falling into swimming pool during weekend
- Okolona looks to restore old swimming pool
- Grant approved for Okolona community swimming pool
- The miracle Kobe Bryant saw
- Sheriff: Iuka man flees deputies, attempts to hide in swimming pool
- Tupelo Special Olympic swim meet
- CDC issues warning on 'crypto' fecal parasite that can live for days in swimming pools
- Man swims 73 laps for birthday
- No swimming: Toxic bacteria afflicts Mississippi coast
- Columbus residents continue storm recovery