TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Police are investigating the alleged abuse of a child in Tupelo.
The staff at the hospital in Tupelo alerted the Tupelo Police Department on Wednesday about a possible child abuse case, according to Police.
Joshua Oakley | Source: Tupelo Police Department
Police were told a 6-year-old boy was suffering from life-threatening injuries. The injuries were not accidental and had happened in Tupelo.
Police officers detained Joshua Oakley, 29, of Tupelo as a person of interest.
Oakley is in a relationship with the child’s mother and was babysitting at the time of the injuries, according to Police.
Police ultimately charged Oakley with felony child abuse.
During an initial court appearance in Tupelo on Friday, Oakley was ordered to be held in jail without bond, according to Police.
- Child's injuries lead to abuse arrest in Tupelo
- Drug investigation leads to arrests in Tupelo
- Child abuse arrest made in Lowndes County
- Columbus woman arrested for child abuse
- Child abuse arrest made in Prentiss County
- Starkville man arrested, charged with child abuse
- Tupelo Police charge child abuse suspect with capital murder
- No injuries in Tupelo home fire
- No injuries reported after Tupelo traffic accident
- Tupelo burglary suspects arrested