MONROE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell says a six-year-old boy is in critical condition after being shot.
It happened at a home on Clay Hill Road off Highway 371 around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.
Sheriff Cantrell says it's very early on in the investigation, but it appears the boy and his sister may have been playing with a gun when it went off.
We're told the boy was rushed to Gilmore Memorial Hospital and then flown to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. He was later taken to Le Bonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis, officials said.
The sheriff says it's unclear if the parents were home at the time.
We will continue to follow this story as information comes in.
- Child shot in Monroe County
- Dog shot in the face in Monroe County
- Fire destroys Monroe County home
- Man drowns in Monroe County
- Lowndes County man charged in Monroe County
- Drug arrests made in Monroe County
- UPDATE: Wanted duo arrested in Monroe County
- Monroe County road work begins Monday
- Hamilton man wanted by Monroe County investigators
- Statutory rape arrest made in Monroe County