UPDATE - Tuesday, August 7 at 4:56 p.m.
COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - Columbus police determined the death of a 15-month old boy in Columbus was an accident.
The incident happened sometime near 11:16 a.m. in the Foxrun Curve area of north Columbus.
Columbus Police Chief Fred Shelton says the accident occurred when a family member was moving a family car in the driveway and accidentally struck the child.
UPDATE - Tuesday, August 7, 2018, at 9 a.m.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant says the accident happened on Foxrun Curve around noon Monday.
According to Merchant, the accident claimed the life of 15-month old Colton Hertrick.
The child died after being hit by a car at the family home.
We're told the child's father is a student pilot at Columbus Air Force Base.
The investigation is ongoing.
ORIGINAL STORY BELOW
COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - A young child died as a result of a car accident in Columbus.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant says the child was under the age of two. The child died sometime near 11 a.m.
Merchant did not release the exact location of the accident but confirmed it happened on the north side of the city.
The child’s name has not been released at this time.
- UPDATE: Columbus toddler's death ruled accidental
- UPDATE: Columbus shooting appears to be accidental
- UPDATE: Enid Lake drowning ruled accidental
- Death of Columbus man ruled a suicide
- Starkville shooting incident ruled accidental
- Columbus police called to investigate accidental shooting
- UPDATE: Preliminary autopsy results back for toddler's death in Delta
- UPDATE: Columbus police investigate shooting
- UPDATE: Missing Columbus woman found
- UPDATE: Biggersville home explosion deemed accidental