Update 01/09/19 11:19 a.m.
John Smith, 47, of Houston, is accused of shooting a woman in the head Tuesday evening in Chickasaw County.
The shooting was reported at 4:49 p.m. at 659 County Road 52 near Houston.
The victim, 41-year-old Nora East, was staying at the address. She told deputies Smith broke into the house and shot her in the head.
She was able to drive to a neighbor's house and called 911.
Deputies went to the address and took Smith into custody without incident.
Investigators believe this incident started with a family disturbance about property.
Investigators say Smith's brother owns the residence where the shooting happened.
Smith is charged with aggravated assault and burglary with a weapon.
Update 01/08/19 10:35 p.m.
The victim was taken to the North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo after she was able to drive herself to a house down the road where she could call 911, according to Chickasaw County Sheriff Jim Meyers.
At this time, a suspect is in custody, but their identity will not be released until Wednesday.
Deputies were called to the scene before 5 p.m. and they believe a confrontation led to the shot fired, Meyers said.
See the original post below.
CHICKASAW COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Chickasaw County deputies are on the scene of a shooting investigation where one woman was shot in the head, according to Sheriff Jim Meyers.
The shooting happened on County Road 52, northeast of Houston.
At last check, Meyers said he was en route to the shooting location.
This is a developing story. Stay with WTVA 9 News for updates.
- UPDATE: Arrest made for Chickasaw County shooting
- UPDATE: Arrest made for Chickasaw County stabbing
- Burglary arrest made in Chickasaw County
- Drug-related arrests made in Chickasaw County
- UPDATE: Arrest made for Lee County shooting
- Chickasaw Drug arrests
- UPDATE: Teenager wanted for burglary in Chickasaw County arrested
- UPDATE: Search on for Chickasaw County shooter
- UPDATE: Arrest made in Oxford Lyric shooting
- UPDATE: Arrests made for West Point shooting