CHICKASAW COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Two people were charged in Chickasaw County after a safety checkpoint stop Tuesday.
Sheriff Jim Meyers says Korbin Pickens and Laken Scott were stopped with crystal meth, tobacco and alcohol on Highway 15.
According to the sheriff's office, the duo meant to get the items into a correctional facility.
"They smuggle this stuff in, or heaven forbid they get a guard to help them get it in," says Sheriff Jim Meyers.
Also found in their vehicle was a handgun.
The other items confiscated in their car hold high value behind bars.
"Some of these cell phones can go as much as $500 dollars in the penitentiary."
The same goes for tobacco.
"It may cost $30 or $40, but in the penitentiary they can get $1,000 dollars for that."
Korbin Pickens and Laken Scott are both charged with possession of a controlled substance.
The Chickasaw County Sheriff's Department says they are still investigating.
- Sheriff: Duo arrested after drug bust, items meant for jail
- Duo arrested in Monroe County drug bust
- Drug bust leaves two in jail
- Trio arrested in Monroe County drug bust
- Three arrested in Tishomingo County drug bust
- 4 arrested in Smithville drug bust
- Duo face drug charges in Tishomingo County
- Duo from Burnsville face drug-related charges
- Duo arrested for burglary; more arrests expected
- UPDATE: Wanted duo arrested in Monroe County