HOUSTON, Miss. (WTVA) - A corrections officer in Chickasaw County is recovering after being attacked Saturday night by an inmate.
51-year-old Larry Jones of Houlka was arrested Saturday for simple assault according to Chickasaw County Sheriff Jim Meyers.
During a night check, Jones complained to a female officer that he was having trouble breathing.
She unlocked the door and he attacked.
"He rushed out and attacked her. He struck her around the face area several times knocking her to the floor. Her training kicked in. She did an exceptional job keeping him away from getting on top of her. He struck her three or four more times while standing on top of her. She finally got free and ran out and locked the door," Meyers said.
The officer was taken to the emergency room but is recovering and will be back at work on Wednesday.
Jones is now also charged with aggravated assault on a corrections officer.
- Chickasaw County corrections officer attacked by inmate
- Former corrections officer sues Chickasaw County
- Inmate stabs Lee County correctional officer
- Sheriff: Lee County inmate attacks officers
- Okolona, Chickasaw County enact curfews
- Sheriff: Inmate attacks jailers in Lee County
- Local residents pack Christmas sacks for Chickasaw inmates
- Chickasaw Drug arrests
- Sheriff: One dead, two injured after fight at Chickasaw Regional Correctional Facility
- Collision injures one in Chickasaw County