TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker and Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton discussed the issue that has been plaguing the city for quite some time.
One such issue can be found at Crosstown. Trains intersect Gloster Street and Main Street several times per day.
The two men discussed possible solutions to the problem.
Shelton said trains are a very important part of the city's economy.
A solution to the issue is in the works.
Wicker wants to focus on keeping the current train intersections in place and improving the trains.
The improvements would include, a faster and quieter engine.
They will also run the train at night when there are fewer people on the road.
He added a faster train would stop traffic for less time.
There are about a dozen local trains included in the plan. Wicker said the full project will take months to years to complete.
- Changes to Tupelo railways are coming soon
- Change coming to Tupelo intersection
- Retail development coming to Tupelo
- Comic Con comes to Tupelo
- Academy award winner to come to Tupelo
- Two new businesses coming to Tupelo
- New tornado shelter coming to Tupelo High School
- MDOT says road changes coming to Tupelo to eliminate congestion
- More info coming out after March shooting in Tupelo