NEW ALBANY, Miss. (WTVA) - An arrest was made in New Albany after a car burglar was caught within minutes of the crime being made.
Police say that they were able to confirm several cars being broken into. They were able to catch the burglars so quick because a witness called it in, while it was happening.
"We always rely on our community. Every law enforcement relies on their community to be the eyes and ears, to help us solve crimes. This is a prime example, people that called in and reported something that wasn't right," said New Albany Police Chief Chris Robertson.
An arrest has been made on Cartavious Bailey for two different charges of auto burglary.
This all happened in downtown New Albany at a local business. A witness noticed something out of the ordinary yesterday afternoon. They saw a person trying to get into cars.
Citizens in New Albany have experienced things like this before and stress the importance of keeping your car locked.
"It happened at our church a few months ago, now we have guards. But people are encouraged to lock their cars. And even at the hospital I work at now, we are told to lock our cars. I do think we live in a very safe community though," said resident Mary Foley.
Bailey's bond has been set at $20,000, but the investigation into more charges is ongoing as police continue to speak to witnesses.
- New Albany car burglary caught by witness
- New Albany police investigate burglary at Walgreens
- New Albany police investigate Walgreens burglary
- New Albany police seek car thief
- Veterans of Foreign Wars commander wants man caught for burglary
- Three women arrested for car burglary
- Columbus police search for car burglary suspects
- UPDATE: Police ID suspect after car theft in New Albany
- Man arrested for intimidating witness
- Memphis arrest may be connected to Walgreens burglaries in New Albany