SHERMAN, Miss. (WTVA) -- Emergency responders have been called to the scene of a train and car accident in Sherman.
The accident happened shortly before 10 a.m. at the crossing at 3rd Avenue and Main Street in the city.
Sherman Police Chief Joel Spellins says Joe Wesley Gaines, 64, of Tupelo, was killed in the accident.
He says the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway train hit the car at the crossing and knocked it into a nearby ditch.
The accident remains under investigation.
WTVA's Daranesha Herron is in Sherman and we will have more details as they become available.
- One confirmed dead in Sherman accident
- No injuries in Sherman wreck
- Drivers urged to cautious on Sherman road
- No injuries as semi-truck catches fire in Sherman
- UPDATE: One dead in Itawamba County accident
- One dead in overnight accident in Monroe County
- UPDATE: 1 dead, 3 injured in Grenada traffic accident
- Two hurt In accident
- Sheriff confirms student shooter is dead after attack inside Maryland high school
- Case of tuberculosis confirmed at Troy University