COLUMBUS, Miss (WTVA) - Arykah White went out with friends on Friday, July 19 to celebrate a sweet 16 birthday party.
According to friends, during the party, a fight broke out, and shots were fired.
White was shot and killed.
"We all try to protect our kids. We try to let them go out with their friends and pray to God they come back home," said Reginald White, father of the victim.
"To see another teen lose their life to gun violence, it has hurt me deeply. I'm broken-hearted," said cousin, Dwight Doughty.
On Saturday, broken hearts filled the track behind Columbus High School as they released balloons and lit candles in remembrance of her.
Her father said watching her overcome so much in life makes this burden even harder to bear.
"She battled through a lot of things in life. At one time dealing with cancer, and she made it through that," White said.
He said her smile will live on.
"She always made people laugh, and she talked and carried on and enjoyed life; that's just the person my daughter was."
Friends of Arykah White said that's who she will continue to be.
- Candle light vigil held for Columbus teen killed
- Prayer vigil held for Nettleton teens killed in wreck
- Vigil held to celebrate A'Miya Braxton's birthday
- Prayer vigil held for ICC football player
- Candlelight vigil held for Houston football player
- Vigil held for dead Tupelo man
- Vigil held for 14-year-old shot by her brother
- Several light candles and sit in silence at Pro-Life rally
- Florida teen arrested for rape in Columbus
- Columbus teen arrested for sexual battery