CALHOUN CITY, Miss. (WTVA) - Calhoun City appoints Latana Williams as the new chief of police following the resignation of the former chief, Tito Lopez, last month.
Chief Williams was appointed Saturday following a special called meeting by the city, Sheriff Greg Pollan said.
This news comes just one month after Lopez announced his retirement and appointed Benny Langford as interim chief.
Mayor Amye Hill says Williams comes from an extensive law enforcement and military background. She has worked with the police department since 2012.
Prior, she worked with Grenada police, Tupelo police and the Lee County Sheriff's Office, Hill said.
Williams is also a member of the U.S. Army Reserve and is an Army veteran.
She is a graduate of Jackson State University.
- UPDATE: New Calhoun City police chief comes in with experience
- Calhoun City Police Chief Tito Lopez retiring
- Interim police chief announced in Calhoun City
- Police Chief: Suspect captured in Calhoun City shooting
- UPDATE: Man wanted for Calhoun City shooting
- UPDATE: Calhoun County inmate found
- UPDATE: Calhoun County suspect returned to Mississippi
- Calhoun City police search for grocery store thief
- Gas leak reported in Calhoun City
- One wounded overnight in Calhoun City shooting