BYHALIA, Miss. (WTVA) - A Byhalia football player died Friday night after collapsing during a game in Clarksdale.
The school confirmed the death of Dennis Mitchell, 16, in a Saturday morning Facebook post.
The Clarksdale Press Register reports the Byhalia game against Coahoma County was stopped at 4:22 in the second quarter after the sophomore collapsed on the sideline.
Coahoma County Coroner Scotty Meredith says Mitchell was pronounced dead at the hospital in Clarksdale at 8:40 p.m.
The body will be sent for an autopsy, but Meredith says Mitchell had no prior health problems and heat was not a factor.
- Byhalia football player dies after collapsing during game
- UPDATE: Missing Byhalia woman found safe
- Cooper Tire opens distribution center in Byhalia
- Report: Greenville football player dies after breaking neck in game
- EMCC football player dies in car accident
- Houston football player dies after feeling ill
- Inmate collapses in prison, later dies
- Crash kills EMCC football player, injures two other players
- Alabama attorney dies days after collapsing in courtroom
- Prayer vigil held for ICC football player