ALABAMA (WTVA) - An owner of a Fulton discount store was killed in a single-vehicle accident in west Alabama, the county coroner said.
Ray Higginbottom, 55, died after a single-vehicle accident Thursday night, Itawamba County Coroner Sheila Summerford said.
The wreck happened near Winfield, Alabama on Interstate 22.
Higginbottom was on his way back from Birmingham where he had bought items for his store, Discount Grocery. One is located in Fulton, the other in Hamilton Alabama.
Nobody else was injured, Summerford said.
According to the Alabama Highway Patrol, his van left the roadway, struck a guardrail and overturned. Troopers say he was not wearing a seatbelt.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
His friends and family are devastated about his loss. They say he was such a generous and giving man, always making sure no one left his store hungry.
“This was a safe place for me... a home away from home. I’m going to miss him. He was this place. It’s gonna be hard to get through this," Emily Sands, a customer of 9 years said.
His family will now decide what will happen to the two stores, employees said.
A funeral arrangement is being made at the Senter Funeral Home in Fulton. A GoFund Me has also been set up for the family.
- Itawamba County businessman killed in wreck
- Itawamba County wreck turns fatal
- UPDATE: Injuries reported in Itawamba County wreck
- MDOT worker struck, killed in Itawamba County
- Itawamba County shed catches fire
- Driver taken to hospital after Interstate 22 wreck in Itawamba County
- Drug arrests made in Itawamba County
- UPDATE: One dead in Itawamba County accident
- Duo charged with Itawamba County ATV theft
- Itawamba County burglaries could be related