JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - The Mississippi Forestry Commission approved a county-wide burn ban in Montgomery County.
The state office approved the ban on Monday, and the ban is effective immediately.
The ban is in response to dry conditions and a lack of rain.
A burn ban prohibits outdoor burning of any kind. However, outdoor grilling is allowed.
Anyone who is caught illegally burning could be fined.
As of this posting, only two other counties are currently under burn bans: Adams and Lauderdale.
Several municipalities in north Mississippi issued their own bans, including Starkville, West Point, Pontotoc and Louisville.
- Burn ban approved in Montgomery County
- Starkville lifts burn ban
- Lee County now under burn ban
- Monroe County supervisors vote for burn ban
- West Point issues burn ban
- Governor lifts statewide burn ban
- MSU honors Sonny Montgomery
- Vehicle catches fire in Montgomery County
- City of Starkville issues burn ban
- West Point issues a burn ban