MONROE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) – For several weeks, burglars have been going into homes in Monroe County.
Most recently in the Bethlehem and Greenwood Springs community.
They are taking electronics, jewelry, and Christmas presents.
“Most of these break-ins are happening in the day,” said Deputy Brad Taylor. “So you can imagine how the homeowner feels when they come home and their stuff is missing.”
He says it’s a different feeling which it hits close to home.
Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell says in the past week, two more homes were hit by burglars.
“It’s Christmas time, and it seems like every Christmas we have some break-ins,” said Cantrell. “It’s just unfortunate but at the same time, we kind of expect it.”
The sheriff advises to stay vigilant and not make your home a target by leaving out boxes of valuables.
“If you’re going to be buying Christmas presents, write down serial numbers,” Cantrell said.
“You just try to explain to the kids the best way you can to comfort them,” Taylor added. “Tell them it’s going to be okay and there are some people in this world that are like that.”
If you have any information about these break-ins, call the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department.
One of the families hit in the Greenwood Springs community will be offering a reward.
- Burglars hitting Greenwood Springs area of Monroe County
- Monroe County wreck kills Greenwood Springs woman, Tupelo man
- MHP investigates pedestrian hit in Monroe County
- Greenwood police accused of planting evidence, beating man
- Clay, Itawamba, Monroe, Oktibbeha counties declared federal disaster areas
- Fire destroys Monroe County home
- Man drowns in Monroe County
- Child shot in Monroe County
- Lowndes County man charged in Monroe County
- Accused burglar arrested in Lowndes County