LEE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A bridge on County Road 520 is closed after state engineers checked the bridge and recommended the county close the bridge immediately for repairs.
Tim Allred, the Lee County Road Manager closed the bridge last night that goes over Town Creek.
This is the second time in two years the county repaired the bridge.
In 2018 the west bank of the bridge needed a new support system after the old support system deteriorated.
Workers switched the wooden beams to a new steel support system.
This time the same problem is on the east bank of the bridge.
The funding to repair the bridge will come from the county general fund.
Allred says the cost will vary between 50 to 100 grand.
Allred says that is only a quick fix. The bridge can only handle three tons.
To put that in perspective that is about the weight of four Corollas.
He hopes to build a new bridge within the next few years that will hold about 10 tons.
However, he says that is up to the Lee County Board of Supervisors.
Allred will go before the board this Monday and ask for emergency funding to repair the bridge.
If the board votes yes, Allred estimates that workers will start repairing the bridge on January 6th.
- Lee County bridge closed for repairs
- Workers begin repairs on Lee County bridge
- Repair work to temporarily close Lee County bridge
- Lee County to temporarily close bridge for repair work
- Lee County bridge closed, in need of repairs
- Oktibbeha County bridge closed for repairs
- Lee County closes bridge in Brewer community, emergency repairs being made
- Part of Highway 6 closed for repairs in Lee County
- Bridge repairs to close Oktibbeha County road for 4-6 months
- Lee County bridge work to temporarily close road