BOONEVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - City leaders passed a new ordinance banning the sale of kratom in Booneville.
The Booneville Banner newspaper reports aldermen voted unanimously.
Enforcement takes effect in 30 days.
Kratom is produced from the leaves of a tropical tree and is taken for pain or anxiety.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation has pushed for the ban in communities across the state, saying the drug mimics the effects of opioids and amphetamines.
- Booneville passes ordinance banning sale of kratom
- Monroe County looking to ban Kratom drug
- Lee County supervisors discuss possible kratom ban
- Lowndes County officials to decide on Kratom ban
- Oxford aldermen pass vaping ordinance
- Legendary Booneville coach Jim Drewry passes away
- Voters say "yes" to alcohol sales in Booneville
- Multiple arrests in Booneville
- Three charged in Booneville shooting
- Booneville police make drug arrest