CORINTH, Miss. (WTVA) - The death of a man found in a car may be connected to a reported shooting in Alcorn County.
Alcorn County Sheriff Ben Caldwell said deputies responded to a reported shooting Wednesday on County Road 192.
Deputies did not find anything there.
While investigating, the Corinth Police Department received a report of a vehicle fire at Main Street and Buchanan Street, the sheriff said.
Corinth Police Investigator Dell Green said the fire was reported at 1:04 p.m.
After firefighters extinguished the fire, the body of a man was found in the vehicle.
Green said the vehicle was a passenger car.
The man’s identity has not been confirmed, the sheriff said.
Investigators believe the vehicle fire is connected to the reported shooting on County Road 192, the sheriff continued.
Caldwell confirmed a person-of-interest is in custody for allegedly leaving the scene of the vehicle fire.
The sheriff did not have an update on the investigation Thursday morning. However, he hopes to release more information soon.
The two law enforcement agencies are working together in the case.
County Road 192 is located east of Corinth off Highway 2.
- Body found in vehicle in Corinth, may be connected to reported shooting
- Corinth Police investigating fatal shooting
- Report: Stabbing arrest made in Corinth
- Corinth murder possibly connected to missing 26-year-old
- UPDATE: Charges filed in Corinth shooting
- Fatal Corinth shooting ruled self-defense
- UPDATE: Corinth shooting suspect in custody
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Corinth shootings
- UPDATE: Arrest made for Corinth shooting
- Fire destroys Corinth business