JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - Chandra Berryman has been appointed to serve as warden for Mississippi’s private prisons and regional jails.
Mississippi Department of Corrections (MDOC) Commissioner Pelicia Hall made the announcement today, Dec. 21.
Berryman succeeds Tony Compton, who retired in June.
She has been with MDOC since June 1995 when she started as a correctional officer at the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility in Rankin County.
She has since served in many positions.
There are three privately-managed prisons and 15 regional jails in the state prison system.
- Berryman named warden for private prisons, regional jails
- Private prison lawsuit goes to trial
- MDOC lifts lockdowns at most regional prisons
- Inmate at privately-run Mississippi prison dies in hanging
- Inmate dies at privately run prison in north Mississippi
- UPDATE: Regional jails in the state prison system no longer on lockdown
- Ole Miss named NCAA Regional host
- Name of inmate released following jail death
- MSU women's basketball named top seed in Kansas City Region
- OCH Regional Medical names Jackson new admin/CEO