FULTON, Miss. (WTVA) - A man is dead after he apparently fell off a barge inside the Sonny Montgomery Lock in Itawamba County.
Itawamba County Sheriff Chris Dickinson said 911 was notified shortly before noon.
He said crews were trying to raise a barge inside the lock for it to continue traveling north.
The man, who was on the front of the barge, fell into the water, the sheriff said.
The man yelled for help, but was apparently crushed, Dickinson said.
Itawamba County Coroner Shelia Summerford later identified the man as Jacob Clint Pearson, 28, of Acadia, Louisiana.
The lock is located near the Prentiss/Itawamba County line.
- Louisiana man identified as bargeman killed inside Itawamba County lock along Tenn-Tom Waterway
- Tenn-Tom Waterway reopens
- Tenn-Tom Waterway closed after heavy rain
- Damaged barge removed from Tenn-Tom Waterway lock in Tishomingo County
- Work continues to remove oil from lock along Tenn-Tom Waterway
- Work is ongoing to reopen Tenn-Tom Waterway
- Gov. Phil Bryant to chair Tenn-Tom Waterway Dev. Authority
- $2B Tenn-Tom Waterway yet to yield promised boom
- Tenn-Tom Waterway still closed in Tishomingo County after oil spill
- Tenn-Tom still closed after flood blocks way with sandbars