TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - A local man opened Mississippi's second axe-throwing business in Lee County and just in time for National Axe Throwing Day.
Steve Willoughby recently moved to Tupelo from Indianola.
He said he was visiting his daughter in Birmingham, Alabama, when she took him to an axe-throwing venue for his birthday.
"Within minutes, I fell in love with the sport, and I decided there wasn't anything like that in Mississippi, so we decided to open one," Willoughby said.
Willoughby said he has always looked for opportunities to do fun things that might be of profitable business, so he decided to open Mississippi Axe Throwing Company.
"It's been really good so far," Willoughby said. "And it's growing."
His business is located on 3239 Tom Watson Drive in Saltillo.
All participants sign a waiver before throwing an axe. Then, they go through a short training class to get started.
"I want everybody that comes to have a really good time," Willoughby said. "That's why we work so hard to make sure everybody sticks an axe to the target or gets the bullseye."
Mississippi Axe Throwing Company is open by appointment Monday through Thursday and is open for walk-ins Friday through Sunday:
- Friday: 3 p.m. - 12 a.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. - 12 a.m.
- Sunday: 2 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Axe throwing business opens in Saltillo
- UPDATE: No injuries in Saltillo business fire
- Son attempted murder with axe
- Former Saltillo banker indicted
- Human skull found in Saltillo
- Saltillo Public Works director resigns
- Semi catches fire in Saltillo
- Saltillo man charged with burglary
- Pontotoc and Saltillo celebrate Veterans Day
- Saltillo woman wins new metal roof