TIPPAH COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Preliminary autopsy results are back following the tragic death of a Mississippi Highway Patrol trooper late last month in Tippah County.
Trooper Josh Smith was killed on September 30 in the Hatchie Bottom area near the Tippah/Alcorn County line.
Troy Anthony Eaton | Photo: Tippah County Jail
The Mississippi Highway Patrol says Smith, 32, was off-duty at the time of his death.
Tippah County Coroner Chris McCallister says Smith was standing outside a vehicle atop a gravel hill when he was shot in the head/face area.
More information about the scene has not been released at this time.
The caliber of the weapon or make is not being released at this time as well.
Smith’s death is being ruled homicide.
The coroner says a toxicology report is pending.
Rickie Dale Vick, 38, of Michigan City, was also found suffering from a gunshot wound. He was taken to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The suspect, Troy Anthony Eaton, 43, of Rienzi, was later arrested and charged with one count of capital murder and one count of attempted murder.
This is a developing story.
- Autopsy results back following trooper's death
- UPDATE: Preliminary autopsy results back for toddler's death in Delta
- Preliminary autopsy results provided in Louisville plant death
- UPDATE: Pontotoc County autopsy backs homicide
- UPDATE: Autopsy results expected soon for Pontotoc County bodies
- UPDATE: Aberdeen expects water results back Friday
- Autopsy report in on local death suspected of being vaping-related
- Alabama troopers investigate 23 traffic deaths during holiday period
- Man serving time in trooper's death dies in prison
- Troopers investigate 4 deaths during Labor Day period