COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - A 23-year-old man is charged with stealing a vehicle and fleeing from deputies in Lowndes County.
According to the Lowndes County Sheriff’s Department, the theft happened Friday at Ole Country Store on Highway 12 in Steens.
Gregory Cole Johnson | Source: Lowndes County Sheriff's Department
The suspect, Gregory Johnson, allegedly got into a woman’s running, unlocked vehicle and drove away.
A sheriff’s deputy responded and saw Johnson pass by the store in the woman’s vehicle, according to the sheriff’s department.
This led to a high-speed chase, but officers used spikes to stop the vehicle on Highway 50
The sheriff’s department says Johnson drove recklessly during the chase and reached speeds higher than 80 mph while passing vehicles and running them off the road.
The 23-year-old Columbus man is charged with felony taking of a motor vehicle and felony fleeing.
Deputies in Lowndes County are urging people to always lock their cars, even if it is just going to be a few minutes. This after a woman got her car stolen from this store in Steens. Hear the full story on @wtva9news at 4 pic.twitter.com/VwhoLqhWEh
— Amanda WTVA (@WTVAAMANDA) October 14, 2019
- Auto theft at Lowndes County store leads to high-speed chase
- Columbus woman charged with Lowndes break-in, auto theft
- Tupelo man leads police on high speed chase
- High speed chase ends in Lee Co.
- Thefts, chase lead to two arrests in Monroe County
- Multiple thefts, chase lead to arrest of Alcorn County man
- Man arrested for high speed chase in Union County
- Multi-county high-speed chase ends with arrest
- Lowndes County inmate dies
- Crash In Lowndes County