Update 10/26/18 1:14 p.m.
Oxford police say they have a person-of-interest in custody. That person's name has not been released.
Photo provided by Oxford PD
See the original post below.
OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Oxford police are asking for help finding an assailant and are offering a reward.
On Saturday, October 20, at approximately 8 p.m., police responded to an assault report on Van Buren Avenue near South 5th Street.
Upon arrival, the female victim stated she was grabbed from behind as she walked east on Van Buren Avenue by an unknown man.
The victim was able to fight the attacker off, then ran to a nearby residence and called 911.
Police say the suspect fled the scene running west on Van Buren Avenue towards the Ford Center parking lot. The suspect got into a newer model white car and left the parking lot north towards West Jackson Avenue.
Police say they saw several vehicles on video surveillance driving through the Ford Center parking lot.
The attacker is described as a white male, 5’11” in height, seen wearing a dark-colored zip-up jacket, an orange or red shirt, khakis and a light tan Costa branded baseball cap with a light blue Costa symbol.
Police are asking that anyone who was in the parking lot between 7:45 p.m. and 8:10 p.m. that day to contact them if any information can be provided.
Crime Stoppers is offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the suspect.
Anyone with information can contact police at 662-232-2400.
The attached photos show the suspect’s car and the cap.
“We believe the ball cap is the key piece to solving this crime,” stated police.
- UPDATE: Assailant wanted in Oxford, reward offered
- UPDATE: Reward offered following fatal Thanksgiving Day shooting
- Rewards offered following burglary of City Pawn
- Reward offered In Webster County shooting
- Crime Stoppers offers reward for info about escaped inmate
- Reward being offered for arrest of Pontotoc dog shooter
- UPDATE: Rewards offered for information into New Albany hit-and-run
- UPDATE: Boil water alert lifted for Oxford
- UPDATE: More info released following Oxford shooting
- UPDATE: Arrest made in Oxford Lyric shooting