SALTILLO, Miss. (WTVA) - As the cool weather approaches many people will be turning up the heat in their homes or even dialing up the fireplaces.
"I just started coughing and my husband started sneezing," Josefina Rayburn said.
Rayburn said she realized she started to get sick from the fumes coming from her fireplace.
She noticed she would start to get certain symptoms only when her fireplace was turned on inside of her home.
"The white chalky stuff coming off (of the logs) get into peoples homes and gets all in their houses," Fireplace Creations Owner Perry Bumpers said. "You can see it on their burners and actually it's not good for peoples respiratory systems."
Bumpers says there have been a countless amount of customers who come into his store confused or filled with questions.
"A lot of consumers do not realize how the burn of a vent-free product can change so quickly," he said. "The carbon monoxide levels could be changed."
So to put that into perspective, those symptoms Rayburn experienced were the same you could start feeling.
You could have a sore-throat, a headache and other flu-like symptoms.
Whether you have a vented, un-vented or a direct vented unit Bumpers says you should always have a carbon monoxide monitor.
Here are a few tips:
- Know what you're buying
- Know the times of operation for the product
- Avoid using your fireplace as a main source.
There is usually a tag attached to your fireplace that has warnings and suggestions as to what you should do if you have a fireplace in your home.
- As temperatures cool fireplace experts say be cautious of Carbon Monoxide levels
- MUW reopens dorm that had carbon monoxide issue
- More MUW students treated for carbon monoxide exposure
- Natchez couple found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning
- UPDATE: MUW students spend night off campus after carbon monoxide leak
- MUW reveals more about what happened prior to carbon monoxide leak
- Drivers urged to cautious on Sherman road
- Residents urged to be cautious as phone scams continue
- Lightning playing havoc in Tupelo, citizens urged to be cautious
- Flooding leaves drivers remaining cautious in Union County