OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - An Arkansas man faces a DUI charge following a fatal collision in Oxford.
On Wednesday, November 7 at approximately 6:27 p.m., Oxford police responded to Ricky D. Britt Boulevard for a reported crash involving a pedestrian.
When officers arrived, they found an unresponsive man, identified as Andrew Brown, 47, in the roadway.
Oxford firefighters were already on the scene performing life-saving measures on Brown.
However, Brown died on the scene.
The driver of the vehicle was identified as Nicholas Welch, 21, of Little Rock. Police say he was on the scene when they arrived.
A blood warrant was issued for Welch. He was later taken to the Lafayette County jail and booked on the charge of DUI-1st. His bond was set at $1,118.
According to state law, if a driver is DUI and involved in a fatal wreck, it doesn’t automatically qualify the suspect be charged with aggravated DUI. It must be proven the vehicle was operated in a negligent manner.
“We are vigorously investigating the crash and the charges can be upgraded, if founded,” police stated.
- Arkansas man arrested after fatal crash in Oxford
- NTSB investigating fatal plane crash in Oxford
- Oxford police charge Arkansas women with credit card fraud
- Lambert man arrested for burglary in Oxford
- Oxford man arrested for domestic violence, assault
- Police: Oxford man arrested for fourth DUI
- Arrest made in Oxford homicide
- Man accused of burning girlfriend arrested in Arkansas
- Oxford man dies as a result of crash
- UPDATE: Plantersville man indicted after crash kills Oxford teacher