ABERDEEN, Miss. (WTVA) - Republican Andy Hood has dropped out of the race for Monroe County sheriff, he confirmed Wednesday morning.
Hood was to face Democrat Kevin Crook in the November general election.
However, with Hood’s decision, Crook will become sheriff.
Recent sheriff Cecil Cantrell resigned from his current term on Tuesday following his defeat in the Democratic Primary on Aug. 6.
- Andy Hood drops out of race for Monroe County sheriff, Kevin Crook to become sheriff
- What does Monroe County say about sheriff's race?
- Sheriff: Louisiana man abducted Monroe County girl
- Sheriff: Teenager wounded in Monroe County shooting
- Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell steps down
- Monroe County supervisors name interim sheriff
- Monroe sheriff: Woman stabbed, possibly shot
- Tight sheriff's race highlights local races
- Monroe County sheriff warns of rising phone caller scams