AMORY, Miss. (WTVA) - The library in Amory is receiving a $250,000 donation, and it comes from a foundation fund that has ties to the city.
The Elizabeth Louise Smith Fund in Chicago has given the CREATE Foundation the money to create an endowment for the Amory Municipal Library, and that amount could double.
The Smith Fund will add $125,000 to the endowment if the community can raise enough money to match that amount.
Smith's husband, James Victor Smith, was born in Amory and left after graduation for Chicago where he became a financial analyst.
CREATE Foundation president Mike Clayborne says James Smith wanted some of his estate to go to the library and the motivation may have been that Smith's mother spent a lot of time at the library.
- Amory library gets $250,000 donation
- Amory Food Pantry in need of donations
- Court sets Curtis Flowers' bond at $250,000
- Amory children spread Christmas joy
- Amory warns of utility scam
- Road closure expected in Amory
- Missing Amory woman contacts family
- Amory man arrested for arson
- Amory holds Magnolia Market Place
- Lowndes County receives $250,000 grant for tornado recovery