TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - A social media post once again causes some parents to worry in Lee County.
The Lee County Sheriff's Department was alerted of a Facebook post that said, "I will bring a gun to school tomorrow," and "Yes, SHS is the school I want."
The post led some people to believe this was in reference to a high school in North Mississippi.
However, Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson said they investigated the post and found out that the post was originally made in regards to Springfield High School in Ohio.
Police in Springfield said they are actively investigating the post and believe that the post was a hoax.
The Springfield Police Division in Ohio posted this to their Facebook page in response to the possible threat.
"In response to the recent threat toward Springfield High School that has been circulating: The Springfield Police Division takes all threats against our community seriously. We are actively investigating this incident and are keeping school and public officials advised. There is evidence that the original Facebook post that started this incident was hoaxed, but the Police and School officials will take appropriate security measures and there will be a police presence at the High School tomorrow. We are also working with Facebook officials to track down the origins of the first post. Should we locate the source, that person(s) will be arrested, charged, and prosecuted. - Chief Graf"
Here is a look at the threat circulating social media.
- Alleged threat to 'SHS' proves to be hoax
- UPDATE: Bomb threat hoax targets US schools, businesses
- West Point police respond to alleged social media threat
- Police increase presence at West Point school following alleged threat
- FaceApp's viral success proves we will never take our digital privacy seriously
- Story about a dog found with her snout taped shut and throat cut was a hoax by owner who wanted free vet care, cops say
- Police: Juvenile in custody after school threat
- Students return to class after threat investigation
- Student arrested, charged in threat investigation
- Mississippi bill would define terroristic threats