RIENZI, Miss. (WTVA) – The mayor of Rienzi says he wants to put a stop to a rash of fires near cemeteries in town.
Mayor Walter Williams says for the past five Mondays there have been fires on the properties surrounding several cemeteries.
He says he is concerned that the fires could lead to something even more devastating such as wildfires.
He adds the fires are being set at specific times between 4 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. or from 7 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
He says the fires always happen on Mondays. The reason for the fires is unknown.
"We are looking into that extensively," said Alcorn County EMA Director Ricky Gibens. "We're trying at this time to get any leads we might have. If anyone knows anything, please call my office at 662-286-7737 and you can and will remain anonymous on that."
- Alcorn County fires remain a mystery
- House fire in Alcorn County
- No injuries in Alcorn County business fire
- UPDATE: Alcorn County inmate captured
- UPDATE: Man recovering after fire destroys Alcorn County home
- UPDATE: State reveals cause of fatal Alcorn County fire
- 12-year-old taken to burn unit after Alcorn County fire
- Alcorn County increases money for volunteer fire departments
- Alcorn County woman charged for shooting husband
- An Alcorn County fugitive returns to Mississippi