MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WTVA) - The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency had issued an Emergency Missing Child Alert Monday night for a 5-year-old boy, but that child has been found and is safe.
Malachi Quintanilla had been seen at his home in Sylacauga around 3:45 p.m.
Stephen Quintanilla | Photo: Lee County Jail
According to the Sylacauga Police Department, the boy was recovered in Lee County, Miss.
Stephen Quintanilla, 27, was arrested by the Lee County Sheriff's Department as a result.
Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson says a 911 call from Alabama officials led to the arrest Monday night. He says officers set up a checkpoint on the Natchez Trace after receiving a tip from Alabama law enforcement.
He says Quintanilla's car was the first to pull up at the checkpoint, matching the description given to officers.
Officers found the boy in the back seat and took Stephen Quintanilla into custody immediately. Officers in Alabama called the incident as a non-custocial abduction.
Malachi Quintanilla has been placed into the custody of Child Protective Services.
The Sylacauga Police Department says it's preparing a formal statement for release later today.
- Missing child recovered in Lee County
- UPDATE: Missing Lee County woman found safe
- UPDATE: Missing Lee County woman found
- Child recovering after near-drowning incident
- Lee County duo charged with child abuse in Prentiss County
- Organization hoping to prevent child neglect expands to Lee County
- UPDATE: Child dies following Lee County crash, arrest made
- UPDATE: Search continues for missing man in Lee County
- 31-year-old man reported missing in Lee County
- UPDATE: Missing child found safe