OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - The Mississippi State Department of Health announced a case of active tuberculosis has been confirmed in a student at Ole Miss' Oxford campus.
"The index patient, I'll call her the index patient, has already been treated and is undergoing ongoing treatment and will hopefully be noninfectious in the near future," said Dr. Travis Yates, director of University Health Services.
Health officials are working with the univeristy's administration to identify students and staff who may have been potentially exposed to the active TB case.
"We have compiled a list of class rosters, roommates, close contacts, said Dr. Yates. "Even contacts that work (here). They came up with this long list of potential contacts."
MORE INFO: Tuberculosis
MSDH with cooperation from the university will initially test approximately 500 individuals for TB infection. The individuals will be notified by a letter with details about the upcoming testing. A second round of testing may be necessary in the next several weeks for those who may have been exposed more recently.
Exposure to active TB disease can result in TB infection. TB infection is not contagious and has no symptoms, but can develop into active TB disease over time. A course of treatment is recommended for those with TB infection in order to prevent future TB disease.
Symptoms of active TB disease include fever, weight loss, night sweats and cough.
The Ole Miss Health Center says the general public is not at risk, since this was an isolated case.
- UPDATE: Students react to active tuberculosis case at Ole Miss
- Case of tuberculosis confirmed at Troy University
- State health officials investigate another tuberculosis case
- 1 case of tuberculosis confirmed in Mississippi high school
- Students react to photo of Ole Miss students at Emmett Till monument
- Ole Miss police officers to undergo tactical active shooter training
- Alabama downs Ole Miss 62-7
- Auburn downs Ole Miss 31-16
- Missouri wins over Ole Miss
- UPDATE: Former Ole Miss chancellor won't head Florida university