TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - New backpacks, unopened Crayons and sharpened pencils.
Numerous non-profit organizations and churches assist in making sure all students have the supplies needed for the start of a school year.
Two civic organizations are partnering to fill in the gap for the second semester.
It's back to the classroom for students after the Winter break. But for some, their backpacks were empty.
Lealue Triplett is the President of the Tupelo Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
"At Christmas, no student asks for a backpack or pencils," Triplett said.
This is the second year that the local alumnae chapters of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity partnered together to provide a backpack refill for students at Lawhon Elementary.
Terry Watson serves as the basileus for the local Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. Watson said this is project not only supports the fraternity's core mission of scholarship and community service, but it's a task that's personal for him.
"I remember when I was a child, there were things I didn't have when going to school. And for me to realize I didn't have it, I can impact someone else's life by giving them what I didn't have," Watson said.
Members from both organizations donated money, which was used to purchase new notebooks, new pencils, new Crayons and brand new backpacks.
"Every day, as an educator, I see students that just don't have. So filling these means the world to me. There's a difference in having the knowledge and having the knowledge and tools. So, this gives them everything that they need," Triplett said.
Counselors chose which students were in need of the new school supplies.
Mark Enis is the principal for Lawhon Elementary. Enis said teachers will surprise students with their new backpacks at lunch.
Triplett said the goal of this program is to grow each year.
- Local organizations provide new backpacks and supplies
- Local organizations provide meals at the Salvation Army
- United Way provides school supplies to across Northeast Mississippi
- Local organization fights back against bullying
- Local organizations prep for Tropical Storm Barry
- Tupelo businesses provide holiday deals for locals
- Local students provided meals during summer break
- Back to School Bash Backpack giveaway
- Saltillo police surprise educators with backpack blessings
- Local organizations to serve meals during Salvation Army renovations