PEARL, Miss. (WTVA) -Ryan Burt threw a complete-game one-hitter as New Hope defeated Sumrall 4-0 on Friday to win the MHSAA Class 4A baseball championship.
The Trojans (27-5) swept the two-game series while winning their eighth state title in program history and first since 2014. New Hope was swept by Vancleave in last year's finals.
"All I can say is God has been good to us," said New Hope head coach Lee Boyd. "There's been so many different times in the playoffs where the ball has bounced our way, and to come in and beat those guys twice is, all I can say is I put it in God's hands and He took us there."
"I'm gonna be honest, I didn't think it was gonna be a one-hitter," Burt said. "I thought it was gonna be a high-scoring game and we were gonna have to keep going. I thank the Good Lord for everything he's done for this team."
Sumrall finished with a 32-8 record.
- New Hope wins Class 4A state baseball championship
- Smithville wins Class 1A state baseball championship
- Louisville defeats Ripley for Class 4A girls championship
- North Pontotoc wins Class 3A state baseball championship
- Calhoun City wins Class 2A state baseball championship
- Pine Grove wins Class 1A girls championship
- Starkville wins Class 6A boys championship
- Oxford wins first state championship in school history
- East Marion downs Okolona for Class 1A boys championship
- Bay Springs downs Ingomar for Class 2A boys championship