Photo Gallery 1 Images
LEE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A man was indicted by a Lee County grand jury for driving under the influence, which led to the death of an Oxford teacher.
According to court documents, Joseph Britt, 36, faces three aggravated DUI charges in relation to the February crash on Interstate 22 near Mooreville.
Sherry Buford, 46, of Oxford, died on the scene of the crash near Highway 371. Buford had four passengers in her vehicle, all of which received injuries.
Court documents state Britt was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash.
Other charges relate to the injuries received by Sandra Phillips and Sheila Lewis. Both were in the vehicle with Buford.
According to the Mississippi Highway Patrol, it appears Britt was traveling the wrong way on the interstate. Troopers say Britt's truck hit Buford's SUV head-on.
Britt was booked into the Lee County jail on May 13.
- UPDATE: Plantersville man indicted after crash kills Oxford teacher
- Plantersville alderman election results
- Two indicted for Oxford robbery
- Plantersville man pleads not guilty to burglaries
- UPDATE: Crash causes delays near Oxford
- Plantersville looking for new police chief
- Plantersville wreck sends 2 to hospital
- Retiree donates money, land, building to Plantersville
- Coroner: Autopsy shows Plantersville man died from gunshot wounds
- Mother of dead Plantersville man calls shooting a "nightmare"