CHICKASAW COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - The Mississippi Highway Patrol has released more information on a Sunday night traffic accident near Okolona that killed one person and sent five others to hospitals.
The crash happened before 9 p.m. Sunday on Highway 41 North outside the city, and it killed Jose Meletz, 33, of Ripley.
Master Sergeant Criss Turnipseed says Meletz was driving a sport utility vehicle south on the highway when it crossed into the northbound lane and crashed into a car. Meletz's vehicle was then struck in the rear by another SUV heading north.
According to Turnipseed, Meletz was not wearing a seat belt, but the five others in the other vehicles were.
A 17-year-old girl in the car was taken to the hospital in Tupelo while the four in the second SUV were taken to the hospital in Oxford. Those five suffered minor injuries.
One person died after a three car collision in Chickasaw County Sunday night.
Master Sergeant Criss Turnipseed said it happened around 8:30 p.m. off of Hwy 41 in Okolona.
One person died and three cars were involved.
MHP is still investigating.
- MHP releases more information on fatal Chickasaw County crash
- UPDATE: MHP identifies victim of fatal Monroe County crash
- MHP investigates Alcorn motorcycle crash
- MHP begins campaign to reduce fatalities
- Former MHP trooper indicted following fatal wreck
- MHP investigates fatal two car wreck
- Woman crashes into creek in Chickasaw County
- MHP: Troopers on scene of serious crash in Prentiss County
- MHP: Wrong-way driver leads to fatal I-22 accident
- MHP: No injuries in Tishomingo County wreck